The Friday before the Superbowl, the Friday before Groundhog Day, the Friday before Chinese New Year..... these all inspire tremendous excitement. Here is what we did in music this week.....
Our adorable first grade students celebrated Ground Hog Day with a fun song and activity. They learned all about Punxatawny Phil, the groundhog who looks for his shadow every February 2nd. Then, students learned a groundhog song called, "Time to Wake Up Sleepy Groundhog." One child was selected to be the groundhog to be in the center of the circle. Following the beat of the song, the other students walk around the groundhog while singing. At the end of the song the groundhog puts his/her head up and names the first person that he or she sees. That new friend becomes the next groundhog!
The second graders continued their fun instrument family activity: the Young Person's Guide to the Orchestra interactive game! They learned all about the instruments in the woodwind family, and how their sound is produced.
This was a BIG week for our third grader friends! They received their recorders! Here are a few important things to keep in mind:
- The students need to bring their recorders to class each music day.
- Mrs. Rzasa and I will be taking "recorder attendance," and three or more unprepared days will result in a call home. The students will learn best when they have their instrument in school!
- Recorders are only allowed to be played in music and outside of school. Please remind your child not to play on the bus or in their regular classroom.
- To help students succeed, home practice is necessary. Please have your child aim for 5 minutes each day. Of course, more is always good too! Since the recorders are new, they will likely practice a lot- but this may fade in the coming weeks. Ask your child to play for you to help encourage them!
- To clean the recorders, you may wash them with warm soapy water, or place them in the TOP RACK of the dishwasher.
- Thank you- we appreciate your patience and support as your child learns a new instrument!
Here is Mrs. Ferullo's class learning the first line of their White Belt song:
On behalf of the music department, we would like to thank any Memorial family who generously contributed to these 25 brand new instruments. Our students musical experience has been greatly enriched!
Have a wonderful weekend! Go Patriots!