The second grade students learned about our new composer for December, Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. He is a Russian composer who wrote The Nutcracker. Then, they reviewed the March (a song from The Nutcracker that they danced to in first grade). Each student listened carefully to the different themes in the song and moved like soldiers, puppets, and mice! Then, they learned a brand new dance for the Trepak. The students even danced with scarves!
The third graders have started their music notation unit to help prepare them for the recorder. First, they learned about the staff, and then we added the treble clef, time signature, bar lines, double bar line (or repeat sign if desired), and labeled the measures. The students did a wonderful job drawing the treble clef - it can be tricky! Here are some pictures:
The fourth and fifth graders have been rehearsing for their upcoming Winter Concert (December 14th). We have sent home the following letter with more information:
The music department at Memorial presents “Winter Rock” on:
Wednesday, December 14th, 2016
Your child has been working very hard towards this concert and we hope you and your family can be there to support them. Feel free to email or call us if you have any questions.
- Concert Attire:
Morning - The students may wear regular school clothes in the daytime - but please no t-shirts with logos or words.
Evening - Our concert is all about rock and roll music in the 1950s/early 60s. We would like the students to dress as though they were from that time period! Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Girls: Full skirts, cardigans, sweaters, jeans, capri pants, leather jackets, high ponytails, etc.
- Boys: Jeans, white t-shirts, button-down shirts, leather jackets, varsity jackets, sunglasses, black boots, greased hair, etc.
- Have fun with your outfit choice, and don’t feel as though you have to purchase something. See what’s in your closet, or borrow something from a friend!
- Call Time:
Please make sure that your child arrives to the school no later than 6:40 p.m. Band students will report to the music room, string students will report to the lesson room, and chorus students who do not play an instrument will report to the Art Room at 6:50pm.
- Please note: ALL 4th and 5th graders must attend the Winter Concert. The students have been working so hard since September to prepare for this performance, and we need all of their wonderful voices in our ensemble! (Please contact us in advance if you have a conflict with attendance)
* We look forward to seeing you there! *
Mr. Napierkowski, Mrs. Niu, and Mrs. Rzasa