The first grade students discussed the instruments of the orchestra and talked about the song, Carnival of the Animals. This hilarious musical suite which consists of fourteen movements is composed by a French composer, Camille Saint-Saëns. Each movement is about a different animal (except for the little joke) and features different instruments of the orchestra. The animals are having a carnival and everyone is invited to participate, even our own students! After discussing each part, the students had a lot of fun moving around to the music of the various animals. We went over 10 of the animals. Next week we will finish the rest and hopefully a student can figure out the joke!
Second grade students are busy getting ready for their Memorial Day Concert on Friday, May 24th at 10am. We continued to work on You're a Grand Old Flag and Remember You. Classes also learned This Land is Your Land and Yankee Doodle Boy. Next week, we will be coming up with dance movements for these songs.
Our third grade students are progressing really well on Recorder Karate. We went over the Red Belt song- Oh When the Saints, which in my opinion, is of the most difficult songs in this series. If your student still needs help, feel free to have them ask one of us.
Our fourth and fifth grade students are in performance mode. They are so excited to perform for you all on Wednesday, May 8th. The evening concert will be held at 6pm in the cafeteria. Students should have their songs memorized. Mrs. Rzasa and I also sent out a notice home (yellow paper) on Thursday and Friday explaining what students should wear and what time they should report to school. Just incase, here is the letter:
The music department at Memorial presents:
Stories of My Life
Wednesday, May 8th, 2019
In the Memorial School Cafeteria
Your child has been working very hard towards this concert and we hope you and your family can be there to support them. Feel free to email or call us if you have any questions.
- Concert Attire:
- Morning - Students may wear regular school clothes in the daytime, but please no t-shirts with logos or words.
- Evening - Please have your child wear the color voted on by their homeroom class:
- Conceison - Yellow
- Burns - Blue
- Rabazzi - Green
- Warford - Red
- Gonzalez/Faliti - Purple
- Weinberg - White
- Harlow - Black
- Olshaw - Grey
- If your child does not have or cannot borrow a shirt for their assigned color, please have them wear black and white.
Note: This is a performance, so all students should look nice. We do not want jeans, sweatpants, or sports gear at the evening concert. Thank you!
- Call Times:
- Band students will report to the music room at 5:40 p.m.
- String students will report to the lesson room at 5:40 p.m.
- Chorus students who do not play an instrument will report to the kindergarten wing at 5:50 p.m.
- Unfortunately, if you bring your child to the school early we will not be able to monitor them until the times listed above. Please stay with your child until these times. Thank you for your cooperation!
- Please note: ALL 4th and 5th graders must attend the Spring Concert. The students have been working so hard since September to prepare for this performance, and we need all of their wonderful voices and instrumental skills in our ensembles! (Please contact us in advance if you have a conflict with attendance)
* We look forward to seeing you there! *
Mr. Napierkowski, Mrs. Niu, and Mrs. Rzasa
Have a wonderful weekend and stay dry!