4A: Today was our first day on BRAND NEW INSTRUMENTS!! Yay! The students did a wonderful job learning the playing positions and technique for the viola and cello. We played through pages 6 and 7 in the book, using the bow instead of doing pizzicato.
Assignment for 4A:
- Work on the open strings, as well as the notes on the D string: Open D, E, F#, and G.
- If you want to move ahead, check out page 10 in the book to try out the A string notes!
4B: Today we spent time reviewing the notes on the D and A strings. We played different examples from the Essential Elements book, and challenged ourselves to sight reading them!
Assignment for 4B
- D Scale
- Select ANY song from page 14 or 15 to practice and play in our next lesson.
4C: Today we reviewed playing position and rest position. Remember to keep a nice posture, and don't let that violin droop! We also went over the proper way to hold the bow, and practiced bowing on open A and D strings.
Assignment for 4C
- Continue to work on your bow hold, and remember to use long bows while playing
- Review the fingered notes on the A and D strings.
- Select ANY song from pages 10-13 to practice and play in our next lesson.
5A and 5B: Today we started to work on one of our orchestra pieces, Salamander Samba.
Assignment for 5A and 5B
- Scales - focus on tone
- Please have all of Salamander Samba prepared by THURSDAY for our first orchestra rehearsal! It is only played on the open strings, so it is a good review piece.
- You can play along with the recording here: Salamander Samba
- Try to think of what you want to play as our 5th grade featured song.